BeyondHeadlines News Desk
Mumbai : Irregularities in Mumbai railway stations’ maintenance came to fore when Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) volunteers carried out surveys of major stations of India’s commercial and entertainment capital.
Thousands of rail commuters in Navi Mumbai are not getting proper facilities such as clean platforms and there’s paucity of safety and security, despite paying higher value for tickets, the surveys revealed.
Rail operations and track maintenance of major Navi Mumbai railway stations like Vashi, Panvel, Belapur, Nerul and Airoli is being taken care of by M/s CIDCO, which in turn subcontracted it to Housekeeping service providers. The neglect of these people reportedly resulted into poor service.
Mr. Ravi Srivastava, District Convener of AAP Thane, along with four activists met the Managing Director of CIDCO Mr. Sanjay Bhatia and presented the problems of commuters before him.
Mr. Bhatia listened to the problems and instantly summoned his associate and issued directives for implementation. Some of the issues discussed between the MD and AAP activists were:
1. The liquor shop, Gutka, Pan, Beedi, cigarette shops to be removed forthwith and their goods confiscated, the hawkers may be provided an alternate space to settle. Encroachments to be removed from all shops, eateries and gaming parlors.
2. Rooms at stations as godown, at least one room shall be converted for emergency first aid care, CIDCO Doctor to look into it and first aid boxes to be arranged. Basic medical facilities can be provided.
3. In order to maintain hygiene cleanliness on the stations, he sought our cooperation and directed that bills for the contractors shall be cleared after certification from our volunteers, this was indeed a positive gesture and we all profusely appreciated it.
4. DG Room and other rooms at Khandeshwar Station have been occupied by private personnel; these will be immediately evacuated and put to CIDCO use.
5. All structural maintenance will be attended to and repairs will be carried out wherever needed.
6. MD believes in transparency, accountability, corruption free administration and has launched a “Transparency Action Plan” which carries all information of concerned personnel of CIDCO also from 15th August 2013 all relevant information shall be uploaded on CIDCO’s website, which can be accessed by Aam Aadmi.
7. Vashi and Belapur stations have societies maintaining commercial premises, however they do not maintain ground floor premises. They will be asked to maintain surrounding area on ground floor also.
8. Water coolers on Railway stations have either been removed or the water pipelines have been cut, these will be restored so that clean drinking water could be provided, wash room upkeep will be improved.
9. There is strong stink, foul smell emanating at Vashi, Nerul and Kharghar stations due to overflowing gutters and accumulated waste from nearby eateries. MD desired that some of the official from CIDCO should carry out surprise inspections in coordination with AAP volunteers and implement the action plan.
Lastly, AAP have been informed that CIDCO has decided in principle to demarcate land for Animal Hospital and shortly the same would be finalized.